The Lighthouse - Monthly SimLit Short Story


The Lighthouse

a Monthly SimLit Short Story


__________________________________________________

THEME: Spooky!

WORD  COUNT: Up to 850 max
SCREENSHOT REQUIREMENT: min 5 to max 10
DEADLINE: 31 OCT 2019 @ Midnight PST

Visit The Sims 4 Forum at the Monthly SimLit Story Challenge for more stories.
Author's Note: English is not my primary Language, sorry for being for all the grammar horrors I will be spilling here and there.

This short story contains some inappropriate content for under 13 yo.
___________________________________________________



"Wake up, Ned! You're having a nightmare!"
Edward opened his eyes, breathing heavily, and turned to look at his wife.
Emily was gently squeezing his arm, trying to soothe him.
"Shh, it was just a bad dream, it's over now."
"Yes, it is.. but it was deeply disturbing. You were so sad, and depressed, you wanted to go away from the Lighthouse... you begged me to go back to the Mainland, and we started to fight... verbally, at first... Then you threathened to leave me here and that you needed to go back to your mother, and then I slapped you... I slapped you! You know that I wouldn't do that in a million year, don't you? You're the love of my life Emily!"
"Of corse you'd never harm me, Ned. Never ever. I know you love me. And I love you too, you know!"
Emily kissed Edward and they both fell back asleep.

The next morning, Edward woke up to the smell of french toast. He went straight to the kitchen where Emily was preparing the table.
"Morning Ned, breakfast's ready! Are you going to fix the handrail up to the Lighthouse today?"
"That's my program." He looked at the silhouette of his wife. "But maybe I can postpone for half an hour, if you're with me..." Emily maliciously replied to his look and stepped into his arms. They made love passionately and cuddled a little.
Then Edward climbed the narrow steps to the top of the Lighthouse and started working on that rusty handrail. He also checked the lantern and gearwheels. The light abruptly turned on. He then looked outside and, to his surprise, saw that it was already dark.

"Time flies by when you work hard." He looked down to the little lighthouse cottage that had been their temporary home, well, temporary for the last three years and for the next seven. 
"I can't wait to go back to Emily. I'm done for today.".
He stepped downstairs and opened the cottage door. Emily was there, reading one of her favourite books: "The Lotus". 
"You are so beautiful, Wife!"
She looked at him, startled. "I didn't hear you coming in, you scared me!" she said after a second, gently smiling. She put back the book and walked towards Edward.
"I couldn't wait to hug you again, Ned" she snuggled into his arms. They made love again, then they fell asleep.




Edward suddenly woke up soaked in sweat. 
"Are you okay Ned? I think you were having a nightmare” Emily gently rubbed his cheek. "You're sweating. You think we should take this extra blanket off? I always feel so cold, lately." She shivered.  She leaned to kiss his lips, then cuddled him. "Time to sleep again, my love, tomorrow you'll have to work on that handrail before if falls off."

Edward woke up smelling french toast and coffee. He looked at his beautiful wife, and wondered what such a beauty could see in someone like him. Someone who had ended up being a Lighthouse keeper for 10 years, who had stripped her beauty from the outer world for the last three years and for the next seven. How could he live without her? "You're always so beautiful and gentle." 
A sudden bitter thought stroke him. "Are you happy Emily?"
Emily shily smiled, imperceptibly tilting her head. "I am. Sometimes it feels a bit empty around here, but I have you. And you have me. Isn't this enough?" She approached him and kissed him. 

Reassured, Edward went up the Lighthouse working on the handrail. 
"Woah, time flew by, it's already dark!" He looked down to the little cottage. "Emily must have already prepared dinner, I mustn’t be late. And let's be honest, the morning kissing left me with a certain desire." He thought of her beautiful face and sinuous body, and flew down the stairs.
Emily was sitting on her armchair, reading her favourite book, "The Lotus".

He ran to her and hugged and kissed her. She looked startled for a second, then reacted to his touch. "You know that I love you Emily? You are the love of my life. Without you I am nothing."
"I know, Ned. I know." 
They tenderly made love and fell asleep.




"Wake up! Ned! Wake up, you're having a nightmare!"
Edward jumped out of the bed, trying to breathe.
"Was it a nightmare? It seemed so real! It all started like you were saying you were feeling so alone here on this island... You wanted to go back to the city... we were arguing, then you started to say that you needed to go back, even without me, that you were losing your head here, then I went so mad because I thought I was losing you, and so I slapped you, then I grabbed you by the neck, and then I... I... You were..." 

Edward fell on his knees, sobbing and crying.
"Emily, you know that I would never, never ever hurt you, don't you?"

Emily sighed lightly.
"Of course you wouldn't. And you would never let me go. Never ever."

THE END

Commenti

  1. Fab story .. had me holding on to every word! I knew it was gong t be one of them <3 very nice job!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you Lisabee! This is my first attempt at writing something in English, I'm relieved it is not too bad :)
      TST

      Elimina
  2. Such a sad, but lovely story! You write well for someone whose first language isn't English!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you Unknown, yes it is sad indeed. Must be the Autumn influence on my brain...

      Elimina
  3. That was very suspenseful! Brilliant story!

    RispondiElimina
    Risposte
    1. Thank you Mena!! I hope to keep on writing more stories when I'm not too busy :)

      Elimina
  4. I was wondering if this was going to be him reliving the same day over and over. I like that it was him with the ghost of the wife he murdered. This is a great story!

    RispondiElimina

Posta un commento

Più popolari